The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) Ltd, is a community-based organisation established to provide professional and culturally competent legal services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Queensland.
Our mission is to foster collaborative partnerships with our communities, key government and non-government stakeholders to influence positive change and deliver high quality legal services for our people within or exposed to the justice system.
|Our role is to:|
• Ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients and their families receive high quality legal assistance, advice and representation if they come into contact with the justice system;
• Assist and inform Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities, through community legal education programs, to enhance their understanding of the justice system;
• Influence a positive change within the justice system to reflect a better understanding and appreciation of the culturally specific and diverse challenges and circumstances that impact upon Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities.
• Provide quality evidenced-based research, advice and direction to rectify policies and practices that impact adversely and disproportionately on the legal rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people under Australian law;
• Maintain a proactive focus and monitoring role to ensure accountability in the implementation of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody recommendations; and
• Ensure the ongoing development and continuous improvement of the LAPR Program and its outcomes.
For legal assistance
Toll Free: 1800 012 255 (24 hrs, 7 days)
Head Office Brisbane Australia: 07 3025 3888
ATSILS (Qld) Ltd provides service throughout Queensland.
Find out more about career opportunities available within our Organisation. Our current positions available are detailed here.
NATIONAL JUSTICE COALITION Principal Advisor role is also on the Careers webpage.
Student looking for placement opportunities, please follow the above link.
To view our Fact Sheets please click here
To view our Submissions please click here.
|Flood Legal Assistance|
For flood legal assistance Please click here to be transferred to the QLAF website.